27.2.12

Finally a decent phone!

<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Never liked the iPhone, could never get comfortable with Symbian, and never had a better solution or option... Until now. Thursday last week, February 23rd, I finally got my new phone. I've been drooling over it since just before Christmas, and I knew the king couldn't hold the throne forever, and today I found that it has been forced to abdicate. Not its popularity though.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;The ZTE Era was unveiled at the MWC in Barcelona recently, and its spec sheet says that my king, the Galaxy Nexus, is about to abdicate. Well, c'est la vie. It is just as certain as the Earth changing inclination to allow the sun to shine on it, that today's technological marvel will be tomorrow's refuse.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;But I don't want to depress anyone who should so happen to read this, so let that be it. Now I want to gloat!&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;I want to do cart wheels, jump tall buildings, fight evil and its brethren wherever they may be. I am just so happy!&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;As this was a birtday present and my birthday was during the week, I had a party this Saturday. Suffice to say for now, I've got quite a few computers, all of them running some form of Linux. My friends have learned to use them on their visits, but it has always been a hassle where to put the mouse and the keyboard. Even my Gyration GO Compact keyboard is about the size of 4-5 Nexuses laid next to eachother.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;A short trip to the Market and I can now (almost) get completely rid of my keyboard and mouse. For this, I installed AndroMouse Lite. A simple touchpad and a keyboard in the palm of my hand. It works just as expected: As good as perfect. The ONE thing I've noticed it doing, is a slight lag when either the computer or my phone is under a heavy load. And it's still barely noticable.&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;<br>
&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;I am not going to talk in length about the different apps I've installed, removed, all the searches I have done on the Market, all the sites I've visited looking for information. But I will talk about one app among them: VLC HD Remote.&lt;/p&gt;<br>
&lt;p&gt;It too is as good as perfect. I tried the app Remote for VLC, and even if it does its job, it's minimalistic. You can change aspect ratio, subtitle, soundtrack, skip in the video, flip from one to the other. And it has ONE ability I'm going to miss unless VLC HDR implements it. </p>
<p>When viewing videos through Opera Mobile and I get a direct link to the content, I can push it, and 95% of the time I get the choice to complete the request with Remote for VLC. This automatically sends the link to VLC for syreaming, and I can control through a REAL player, not a Flash-based player, how the playback proceeds.</p>
<p>VLC HDR is a better app, no question. about it. It has built-in server and client streaming, in other words to and from the phone. All the features of this app is available on the Market so I won't reiterate them all. The drawbacks of this app are only two that I have been able to find: Previously mentioned and the fact that streaming isn't free forever. You have to buy an unlock code for that. If I ever figure out VLC's streaming I'll buy it. But for now I recommend this app for anyone using VLC to some degree.</p>

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar